Hey everyone! Today, I want to share with you my favorite self tanners. I’ve never been one to lay in the tanning bed or in the sun very long so having these products to use has been a life saver! I am definitely one of those people that cannot stand to be pale. I don’t know why, but I don’t look good pale at all. I definitely did not get the dark skin tone that most of my family seems to have.
Before we get started talking about my favorite self tanners, I want to quickly explain that you need to shave and exfoliate very well before you apply any self tanner to your skin. This will ensure that the tanner soaks into your skin and doesn’t sit on the surface, and you will get a deeper and darker color. I have used many self tanners in the past and wondered why they didn’t get me very dark. Lets just say I was being lazy and not exfoliating before I applied it; therefore, it sat on the surface of my skin and most of it washed off with the color guard the next morning. The products that I use to exfoliate include exfoliating gloves, a sugar scrub, and my clarisonic. I don’t think that you have to go out and buy the clarisonic to exfoliate your face, but I have just had mine for a while and it is what works best for me. I will link all of the exfoliating products below if you want to check them out. Here are my favorite self tanners.
1. Fake Bake Flawless Darker: This self tanner is one of my top favorites because it is easy to use, the color is a nice, dark brown color (no orange tint) and it has a color guard so you can see where you are applying the product. I also really like the smell because it reminds me of the beach. I love that you can decide how dark you want your tan to be because it is easy to build upon the color you already have. For example, I will put on one coat of self tanner and then a few minutes later I will go in with another coat to darken the color up even more. I like that it works this way so that the color looks more natural and I don’t have to worry about people seeing streaks (been there, done that many times). The only negative thing I have to say about this tanner is that when applying it, it can get extremely messy; therefore, I always put a dark towel on the floor when I spray the product so it doesn’t get all over my bathroom floor. I find that I get a darker color if I spray it directly on my skin but you can also spray the product on the mitt and apply it that way if you think it might be too messy. I would definitely recommend this self tanner to anyone because it’s easy to build up and you can get very dark with this product.
2. Loving Tan 2 Hour Express (Dark): I really like this self tanner because it is a mousse; therefore, it goes on a lot quicker and easier. It isn’t hard to rub in and it leaves you with a pretty, dark brown color. This one has a color guard as well, which helps you see where you applied the self tanner and if you missed any spots. The only negative thing I have to say about this one is that if you don’t moisturize well, it will get streaky within a couple days when it wears off. For the longest time I couldn’t figure out why it would get patchy on me, but when I kept applying lotion every day, it didn’t have that effect on me. I would definitely repurchase this product because when they say “2 hour express” they really mean 2 hours. This tan develops very fast so if you have somewhere to be in just a few hours, then this product would be really great for you.
3. St. Moriz 60 Minute Tan: This self tanner is so amazing because it’s not expensive, it can easily be applied because it’s a mousse, and it doesn’t get streaky at all. I love it because I can put it on really fast and not have weird streaks. This one also has a very dark color guide so you can see where you are applying the product. I find that I am usually reaching for this one the most because it’s so easy to put on and it gets me extremely dark. This self tanner lasts about 3-4 days, but most of the time I still have some color by day 5 or 6. I really think it is all about how good you exfoliate and moisturize so the tan can sink into your skin and last a while. I will link some good exfoliating products below.
4. St. Tropez Classic Self Tanning Mousse: I also really like this self tanner because if you want a nice glow, but don’t want to get crazy dark, then this one would be good to use. This might sound crazy but sometimes I put this on after I get out of the shower and the next night I will go in with another tanner that is darker if I want to build up the color. By doing this, my tan looks so natural and I have been asked many times what I was using, because everyone knows I’m never naturally tan. I don’t think you can go wrong with this self tanner because it is very high quality; however, if you are looking for something to get you really dark very fast, then I would either use the fake bake flawless or the St. Moriz 60 minute tan that I previously mentioned above. St. Tropez does have a starter kit if you have never self tanned before and just want to try it out. I will link it below.
5. Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer (Med/Tan): I love this moisturizer because it enhances the tan that I already have. It doesn’t get streaky on me and it’s great for prolonging my tan so I don’t have to reapply self tanner as often. Jergens also has a face tanner, so if you have sensitive skin like I do, then the face tanner might be best to use on your face so you don’t break out.
I hope that this was helpful and if you have any questions, feel free to message me any time!
Some days you just have to create your own sunshine. -Unknown
Disclaimer: These are affiliate links. You can shop the product by clicking on the image.